Prahova Provita de Jos is a district of Prahova County, Romania, located in the east of the county. It is composed of four communes; Provita, Cornu, Brădetu and Sâmbotin, and has an area of 78.5 km2. The population of the district, as per the 2011 census, is 9,272 inhabitants. The main economic activities of the district are small-scale industry and agricultural production.
Prahova Provita de Jos is located is a commune in Prahova County, Romania. It is composed of three villages: Provița de Jos, Provița de Sus and Văleni.
The easiest way to travel to Prahova Provita de Jos is by car. Depending on your current location, you can take a road trip following maps or use a navigation app to get precise directions. If you would prefer to go by public transportation, you can use the buses and trains system. From Bucharest, you can take the RATB bus route 238 until you reach the destination.
1. Ostrovel Castle – this striking castle is located in the village of Ostrovel, near the Prahova Valley. It was originally built in the 16th century by ruling prince Constantin Cantacuzino, and it is the only castle of its kind in the region. The castle was damaged over the years by floods and earthquakes, but its picturesque remains still stand in the village.
2. Măgura Monastery – situated in the Căpăţânenii de Jos village, this 16th century monastery is considered one of the oldest in the country. It has a stunning architectural design, and it’s a great place to visit for anyone looking to explore the region’s history.
3. The Royal Residence of Sinaia – this majestic building was built in 1912, as a summer residence for King Carol I of Romania. Its Neo-Renaissance style is sure to impress, and its interiors still reflect elements of its royal past.
4. The Grecescu Mansion – this residence was built at the end of the 18th century, for Knight C. Grecescu. Its stunning façade and gardens make it an iconic landmark of the region.
5. The Măgura Cave – this large cave, located near Breaza, is one of the region’s most interesting archaeological sites. It has unique paleontological finds, and is also full of fascinating prehistoric paintings.
6. Polizu Castle – this palace was built in the 1890s by prince Alexandru Ghica. It has a unique architecture and is a great place to explore the region’s history and culture.
7. Coloseum Palace – this beautiful palace was built in the Austro-Hungarian style in the late 19th century. It’s sure to impress with its lush gardens, and its interior is decorated with remarkable frescoes.
8. The Caraiman Cross – at an altitude of 2,291 meters, this is the highest cross in Romania. It was built in 1926 in honour of soldiers who died in World War I, and it stands majestically atop Mount Caraiman.
1. Cheile Doftanei National Park
2. Maneciu-Ungureni Church
3. Eustatiu Stoenescu House
4. Royalty Palace
5. Cantacuzino Palace
6. Dimitrie Ghica Park
7. Muscel Monastery
8. Ciolanu Monastery
9. Arabesque Park
10. Dimitrie Ghica Lake
Prahova Provita de Jos is an ethnographic region and a great destination for tourists who want to experience traditional Romanian culture and landscapes. Popular activities to do in the area are:
1. Visit the local market and shop local artisan products, such as handmade ceramics, textiles, and wood carvings.
2. Take a boat ride through the meandering Prahova River and admire the stunning scenery of the Carpathian Mountains.
3. Explore the region’s many historical churches and monasteries, such as the Church of the Archangel Michael and Dragos Voda Monastery.
4. Taste local food specialties like Jeleac, a type of sweet cheese-filled pastry, as well as other traditional favorites like polenta, mamaliga, and more.
5. Go on a guided tour of the region’s many vineyards and sample some of the area’s best wines.
6. Participate in a traditional cooking workshop and learn to make traditional dishes like Sarmale and Cozonac.
7. Take a guided hike through the mountains and admire the incredible views of the Prahova Valley.
8. Visit the Babele Vii Bird Sanctuary to observe wonders of local wildlife and nature.
9. Enjoy a day of skiing and snowboarding at the nearby Predeal ski resort.