Mehedinti Rogova district is located in the southwest region of Romania and is part of the Mehedinti County. It spans 102 square kilometers and had a population of 8,719 in 2011. The district is largely rural, with most inhabitants living in small villages such as Rugina, Schitu, and Cheia. Agriculture is an important part of the district economy, with principal crops including maize, wheat, and sunflower. Animal husbandry is also popular, with dairy farming and raising of pigs, sheep, and poultry being key industries.
The district is well-known for its mineral springs, which attract many visitors from around the country every summer. The area is also home to rich historical and archaeological sites, such as the Villages of Gorgota and Coste±ti, which were inhabited since ancient times. The Mehedinti Rogova district also boasts many places of natural beauty, such as the Great Gorge of the Tetarul River and the Iron Gates National Park.
Mehedinti Rogova is a district located in Mehedinti County, Romania. The district has a population of 7,978 and an area of 531 square kilometers. The administrative center of the district is the town of Rogova. The main economic activities in the district are agriculture, forestry, fishing and animal husbandry.
The fastest way to get to Mehedinti Rogova District is to fly into Bucharest International Airport in Romania and then take a bus or train to the district. Alternatively, you could also drive from Bucharest if you have access to a car.
1. DohirChurch- Rogova- This historic Byzantine-style church was built in 1512 and is one of the most important landmarks in the Rogova district. It is a fascinating example of Byzantine architecture, with its distinctive round cupolas and its rustic stone walls.
2. Rogova Castle- Rogova- This 13th century castle is an impressive example of medieval architecture, and it served as an important defensive fortification and residence of the Rogova princes. It is one of the oldest surviving structures in the Rogova district and it is listed as a National Monument.
3. Goran Monastery- Rogova- This 11th century monastery is an important example of early Monastic architecture. It is a remarkable place to visit, with its decorated stonework and gothic architecture. It is a site of great historical importance, and it is a major attraction in the Rogova district.
4. Karaula Tower- Rogova- This ancient fortified tower was built in the 15th century and is an architectural masterpiece. It is one of the most important landmarks in the Rogova area and is a symbol of regional pride.
5. Zlatna Cave- Rogova- This is one of the most stunning natural attractions in the Rogova district, with its mysterious stalagmites and stalactites. It is a beautiful place to visit, and it is a great spot for hiking and exploring the local nature.
6. Mehedinti Arboretum- Mehedinti- This incredible arboretum is home to hundreds of rare species of plants and trees. It is a great place to learn more about the local flora, and it is also a wonderful spot for bird watching and enjoying some peaceful moments.
1. Dr. Alexandru Șajut Memorial House and Museum – Located in the village of Rogova in the Mehedinti County, this museum is dedicated to the life and works of renowned 19th-century physician and scholar, Dr. Alexandru Șajut. It is home to displays featuring paintings, photographic plates, his books and personal items, including a collection of stones, a part of his geological collection.
2. Mehedinti Mountains Natural Park – This 40-hectare park is made up of meadows and forests that offer visitors plenty of opportunities to explore the natural beauty of the Mehedinti Mountains. The park is home to many rare species of flora and fauna, making it a popular destination for hikers, birdwatchers, nature lovers, and those simply looking to relax.
3. Cathedral of St. Nicholas and St. Petru – Built in 1630, this impressive cathedral is considered to be the oldest in the Mehedinti Region. Constructed from red brick and boasting a beautiful baroque style, this place of worship is dedicated to the patron saints of the region, St. Nicholas and St. Petru. Unmissable for those interested in the area’s history and culture.
4. The Wooden Churches of Rogova – Situated in Rogova, this cluster of four churches are some of the most important historical monuments in the region. The churches, built in the 18th century, feature intricate designs and colorful frescoes, offering visitors a window into Romania’s past.
5. Rogova Cave – This picturesque grotto can be found near Rogova, and is a popular spot for exploring and enjoying nature. Inside, visitors can admire the echoes, stalactites, and stalagmites, while outside, there are plenty of walking trails and picnic spots.
Mehedinti Rogova District is located in the south-west part of Romania, in the Mehedinti County. Tourists can enjoy a variety of activities in the region, including visits to local attractions, exploration of the stunning natural landscape, and participating in a wide range of outdoor activities.
Visitors to the area can admire the historic churches and museums, while soaking in the tranquility of the rural villages. As a border district, there are many opportunities to experience the culture of both Romania and Bulgaria, such as the ethnographic exhibition in Gârnic. Nature lovers can drive to the nearby Jiu Canyon, which offers stunning views of the Jiu River, or compete in rafting and kayaking challenges. Those who want to get active can rent mountain bikes and explore the lush forests and meadows.
One of the most popular attractions in the region is the Mehedinți Rogova Gorge and its biggest waterfall, called The Queen of the Gorges. Tourists can also visit the nearby Izvoru Monastery, founded in 1690, or take a trip to the ancient crater lake called Great Ravines. For adrenaline seekers, there are a variety of thrilling activities such as zip lining, paragliding, and bungee jumping. Visitors with an interest in bird watching can spot several species in the region, or take part in an excursion to the Izvorul Minunilor cave.
No matter what activities tourists choose, Mehedinti Rogova District is sure to leave them with an unforgettable experience.